Can I get OC insurance refund after I sell the car in Poland?


In Poland, if you have already paid for your OC (third-party liability) insurance and then sell your car, you are eligible for a refund of the unused portion of the insurance premium. However, it is important to include a specific requirement in your sales contract. The new owner must choose whether to continue with the current insurance coverage or to purchase their own policy. As the seller, you are not permitted to cancel this mandatory third-party liability (OC) insurance. Although the right to resign from the current policy is transferred to the new owner, they are not obliged to do so.

After selling your car, you should notify your insurance company about the sale. This is important because the OC insurance is attached to the vehicle, not the individual.

You need to provide the selling contract to the insurance company proving the sale of the vehicle. This could include a copy of the sales contract or other relevant documents.

The insurance company will calculate the amount of refund based on the remaining period of your insurance coverage according to the formula;


Premium paid / 365 * unused policy days 


For example if you've paid for a year's coverage but sell the car after six months, you are entitled to a refund for the remaining six months. 

The processing time for the refund can vary. It's important to check with your insurance provider for specific details.

If the new owner wishes to continue with the same insurance policy, they might need to negotiate this separately with the insurance company. However, usually, the new owner will acquire their own insurance.